Dr. SUBHANKAR SINGHA
Dr. Subhankar Singha, PhD
Centre for Health Science and Technology
Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences
Ph.D., Dept. of Chemistry, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), South Korea
M.Sc., Dept. of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT KGP), India
B.Sc., Dept. of Chemistry, Midnapore College, Vidyasagar University, India
2019 – Present: Assistant Professor, JIS Institute of Advanced Studies and Research (JISIASR) Kolkata, India
2015 – 2019: Research Assistant Professor, Dept. of Chemistry and School of Molecular Science (BK21PLUS), POSTECH, South Korea
2013 – 2015: Post-Doctoral Research Assistant, Dept. of Chemistry and Center for Electro-Photo Behaviors in Advanced Molecular Systems, POSTECH, South Korea
2008 – 2009: Research Chemist, Technology Improvement Group, Research & Development Centre, Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited, Gurgaon, India
Biosensors and chemosensors (fluorescence probes/assay kits development);
Sensors for environmental (air and water) pollution monitoring;
Contrast materials for bioimaging;
Fluorescent (two-photon) materials and fluorescence bioimaging;
Smart materials for drug delivery and theranostics (disease diagnosis and therapy)
Development of Smart Sensors & Advanced Materials
The 21st Century technology is progressing with the concept of smart and intelligent systems. Human is gradually shifting their attention to more and more intellectual activities, and the routine physical activities are to be done by machine. The global and Indian industries are focusing in the system design and development in the domain of Command, Control, Communication, Computer and Intelligence with additional focus on Human Machine Interface, Monitoring and Measurement. In this scenario, the knowledge in Sensors, IoT, Embedded design and Machine Computations are very important.
In view of this, a targeted research has been started in the “Sensors & Materials Laboratory” at JISIASR Kolkata. It covered the basic research on biosensing and bioimaging through the development of 1) Optical (fluorescence) sensors/probes for disease diagnosis and patho-biological analysis, and 2) Sensor materials for bioimaging. Those basic researches on sensing and imaging materials are currently in use for the application oriented research towards- 3) Development of sensor device for quality control of environmental samples such as toxic gas (hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde) sensors for air pollution, heavy and toxic metals (arsenic, mercury) sensors for water pollution, and 4) Drug delivery and theranostics for cancer treatment.
In short, the research in this group is mainly focused on the development of novel sensing materials and sensors/probes/assay kits, and their application for biosensing and patho-biological analysis, as well as innovation of sensor technology (in combination with electronics and IoT) for global sustainability.
1) One-photon and/or two-photon fluorescent probes for hydrogen sulfide, biological imaging method of hydrogen sulfide using the same and synthesis method of the same, Organization: United States Patents and Trademark Office, Patent Application No: US 15/037,168 (Application date: 17.05.2016), Inventors: K. H. Ahn, D. Kim, S. Singha. **Technology transferred & license agreement for commercialization with Merck Inc., USA.
2) Novel two-photon absorbed fluorophore and cellular imaging method using the same, Organization: United States Patents and Trademark Office, Patent Application No: US 15/512,624 (Application date: 20.03.2017), Inventors: K. H. Ahn, D. Kim, H. Moon, S. Singha, B. Roy, S. Sunderraman.
3) Benzocoumarin based two-photon absorbing fluorescent dyes, Organization: United States Patents and Trademark Office, Patent Application No: US 15/955,877 (Application date: 18.04.2018), Inventors: K. H. Ahn, Y. W. Jun, H. Kim, S. Singha, Y. J. Reo.
4) One-photon and/or two-photon fluorescent probes for hydrogen sulfide, biological imaging method of hydrogen sulfide using the same and synthesis method of the same, Awarding Organization: Korean Intellectual Property Office, Registration number: KOR 10-1481921 (Registration date: 06.01.2015), Inventors: K. H. Ahn, D. Kim, S. Singha.
5) Novel two-photon absorbed fluorophore and cellular imaging method using the same, Awarding Organization: Korean Intellectual Property Office, Registration number: KOR 10-1662444 (Registration date: 27.09.2016), Inventors: K. H. Ahn, D. Kim, H. Moon, S. Singha, B. Roy, S. Sunderraman.
6) Probes for detecting formaldehyde or measuring formaldehyde concentration, two-photon ratiometric fluorescence imaging and concentration measurement of formaldehyde in cell or tissue using the same, Organization: Korean Intellectual Property Office, Patent Application No: KOR 10-2016-0124841 (Application date: 28.09.2016), Inventors: K. H. Ahn, Y. W. Jun, J. Bae, H. G. Ryu, S. Singha.
7) Benzocoumarin based two-photon absorbing fluorescent dyes, Organization: Korean Intellectual Property Office, Patent Application No: KOR 10-2017-0078999 (Application date: 22.06.2017), K. H. Ahn, Y. W. Jun, H. Kim, S. Singha, Y. J. Reo.
8) One- or two-photon absorbing fluorescent dyes based on amino-Si-pyronin compound and the uses thereof; Organization: Korean Intellectual Property Office, Patent Application No: KOR 10-2018-0102776 (Application date: 30.08.2018), Inventors: K. H. Ahn, H. G. Ryu, Y. W. Jun, K. H. Kim, S. Singha.
- Singha*, ‘Fluorescence detection of ciprofloxacin’ in M. S. Attia (ed.), Ciprofloxacin: Biosynthesis, Applications, and Adverse Effects, Hauppage, NY: Nova Science Publishers, 2019, pp.265-293.
1) Y. J. Reo, Y. W. Jun, S. W. Cho, J. Jeon, H. Roh, S. Singha, M. Dai, S. Sarkar, H. R. Kim, S. Kim, Y. Jin, Y. L. Jung, Y. J. Yang, C. Ban, J. Joo, K. H. Ahn, Systematic study on discrepancy of fluorescent properties between in solutions and in cells: Super-bright, environment-insensitive benzocoumarin dyes, Chemical Communication, 2020, Accepted Manuscript, doi: 10.1039/D0CC03586F. (IF = 5.996)
2) R. N. Carter, M. T. G. Gibbins, M. E. Barrios-Llerena, S. Wilkie, P. Freddolino, M. Libiad, V. Vitvitsky, B. Emerson, T. LeBihan, M. Brice, H. Su, S. Denham, N. Z.M. Homer, C. Mc Fadden, A. Tailleux, N. Faresse, T. Sulpice, F. Briand, T. Gillingwater, K. H. Ahn, S. Singha, C. McMaster, R. C. Hartley, B. Staels, G. Gray, A. J. Finch, C. Selman, R. Banerjee, N. M. Morton, The hepatic compensatory response to elevated systemic sulfide impairs medium chain fat oxidation and promotes diabetes, bioRxiv, 2020, doi: 10.1101/2020.04.27.064287.
3) P. Singh, D. Mukherjee, S. Singha, V. K. Sharma, I. I. Althagafid, S. A. Ahmed, R. Mukhopadhyay, R. Das, S. K. Pal, Probing relaxation dynamics of a cationic lipid based non-viral carrier: a time-resolved fluorescence study, RSC Advances, 2019, 9, 35549-35558. (IF = 3.119)
4) S. Singha, Y. W. Jun, S. Sarkar, K. H. Ahn, An endeavor in the reaction-based approach to fluorescent probes for biorelevant analytes: Challenges and achievements, Accounts of Chemical Research, 2019, 52, 9, 2571-2581. (IF = 20.832)
5) K. H. Kim, S. Singha* (*corresponding author), Y. W. Jun, Y. J. Reo, H. R. Kim, H. G. Ryu, S. Bhunia, K. H. Ahn*, Far-red/near-infrared emitting, two-photon absorbing, and bio-stable amino-Si-pyronin dyes, Chemical Science, 2019, 10, 9028-9037. (IF = 9.346)
6) S. W. Cho, A. S. Rao, S. Bhunia, Y. J. Reo, S. Singha* (*corresponding author), K. H. Ahn*, Ratiometric fluorescence detection of Cu(II) with a keto-dipicolylamine ligand: a mechanistic implication, Sensors and Actuators B-Chemical, 2019, 279, 204-212. (IF = 7.100)
7) P. Singh, D. Mukharjee, S. Singha, R. Das, S. K. Pal, Modulation of kinetic pathways of enzyme-substrate interaction in a microfluidic channel: Nanoscopic water dynamics as a switch, Chemistry – A European Journal, 2019, 25, 9728-9736. (IF = 4.857)
8) P. Singh, V. K. Sharma, S. Singha, V. G. Sakai, R. Mukhopadhyay, R. Das, S. K. Pal, Unraveling the role of monoolein in fluidity and dynamical response of a mixed cationic lipid bilayer, Langmuir, 2019, 35, 4682–4692. (IF = 3.557)
9) T. Umme, S. Singha* (*corresponding author), H. Kim, Y. J. Reo, Y. W. Jun, A. Das, K. H. Ahn*, A benzocoumarin based two-photon fluorescent probe for ratiometric detection of bisulfite, Sensors and Actuators B-Chemical, 2018, 277, 576-583. (IF = 7.100)
10) H. G. Ryu, S. Singha* (*corresponding author), Y. W. Jun, Y. J. Reo, and K. H. Ahn*, Two-photon fluorescent probe for hydrogen sulfide based on a red-emitting benzocoumarin dye, Tetrahedron Letters, 2018, 59, 49-53. (IF = 2.275)
11) S. Singha* (*corresponding author), D. Kim, S. Bhuniya, T. Kumeria, Fluorescence analysis: from sensing to imaging, Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry, 2018, 2654127. (IF = 1.878)
12) S. Sarkar, M. Santra, S. Singha, Y. W. Jun, Y. J. Reo, H. R. Kim, K. H. Ahn, Two-photon absorbing 8-hydroxy-benzo[g]coumarins with giant Stokes shift: an environment-insensitive dye platform for probing biomolecules, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2018, 6, 4446-4452. (IF = 5.344)
13) Y. W. Jun, S. Sarkar, S. Singha* (*corresponding author), Y. J. Reo, H. Kim, J.-J. Kim, Y.-T. Chang*, K. H.Ahn*, A two-photon fluorescent probe for ratiometric imaging of endogenous hypochlorous acid in live cells and tissues, Chemical Communications, 2017, 53, 10800-10803. (IF = 5.996)
14) S. Singha, Y. W. Jun, J. Bae, K. H. Ahn, Ratiometric imaging of tissue by two-photon microscopy: observation of a high level of formaldehyde around mouse intestinal crypts, Analytical Chemistry, 2017, 89, 3724-3731. (IF = 6.785)
15) P. Singh, S. Choudhury, S. Singha, Y. Jun, S. Chakraborty, J. Sengupta, R. Das, K. H. Ahn, S. K. Pal, A sensitive fluorescent probe for the polar solvation dynamics at protein–surfactant interfaces, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2017, 19, 12237-12245. (IF = 3.430)
16) H. Seo, S. Singha, K. H. Ahn, Ratiometric fluorescence detection of anthrax biomarker with Eu(III)-EDTA functionalized mixed poly(diacetylene) liposomes, Asian Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2017, 6, 1257-1263. (IF = 3.130)
17) C. Hine, H.-J. Kim, Y. Zhu, E. Harputlugil, A. Longchamp, M. S. Matos, P. Ramadoss, L. Brace, J. M. Asara, C. K. Ozaki, S.-y. Cheng, S. Singha, K. H. Ahn, A. Kimmelman, F. M. Fisher, P. Pissios, D. J. Withers, C. Selman, R. Wang, K. Yen, V. Longo, P. Cohen, A. Bartke, J. J. Kopchick, R. Miller, A. Hollenberg, J. R. Mitchell, Hypothalamic-pituitary axis regulates hydrogen sulfide production, Cell Metabolism, 2017, 25,1320-1333. (IF = 21.567)
18) H.-J. Lee†, C.-W. Cho, H. Seo†, S. Singha† (†co-first author), Y. W. Jun, K.-H. Lee, Y. Jung, K.-T. Kim, S.Park, S. C. Bae, K. H. Ahn, A two-photon fluorescent probe for lysosomal zinc ions, Chemical Communications, 2016, 52, 124-127. (IF = 5.996)
19) S. Singha, K. H. Ahn, Detection of ciprofloxacin in urine through sensitized lanthanide luminescence, Sensors, 2016, 16, 2065. (IF = 3.275)
20) S. Singha, D. Kim, H. Seo, S. W. Cho, K. H. Ahn, Fluorescence sensing systems for gold and silver species, Chemical Society Reviews, 2015, 44, 4367-4399. (IF = 42.846)
21) D. Kim†, H. Moon†, S. H. Baik†, S. Singha† (†co-first author), Y. W. Jun, T. Wang, K. H. Kim, B. S. Park,J. Jung, I. Mook-Jung, K. H. Ahn, Two-photon absorbing dyes with minimal autofluorescence in tissue imaging: application to in vivo imaging of amyloid-beta plaques with a negligible background signal, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2015, 137, 6781-6789. (IF = 14.612)
22) S. Singha, D. Kim, B. Roy, S. Sambasivan, H. Moon, A. S. Rao, J. Y. Kim, T. Joo, J. W. Park, Y. M. Rhee, T. Wang, K. H. Kim, Y. H. Shin, J. Jung, K. H. Ahn, A structural remedy toward bright dipolar fluorophores in aqueous media, Chemical Science, 2015, 6, 4335-4342. (IF = 9.346)
23) S. Singha, D. Kim, H. Moon, T. Wang, K. H. Kim, Y. H. Shin, J. Jung, E. Seo, S.-J. Lee, K. H. Ahn, Toward a selective, sensitive, fast-responsive, and biocompatible two-photon probe for hydrogen sulfide in live cells, Analytical Chemistry, 2015, 87, 1188-1195. (IF = 6.785). • Highlighted in “Chemical & Engineering (C & EN) News” as “Sniffing out hydrogen sulfide in cells” on January 5, 2015. • Technology transferred & license agreement for commercialization with Merck Inc. (EMD Millipore), USA.
24) M. Tasior, D. Kim, S. Singha, M. Krzeszewski, K. H. Ahn, D. T. Gryko, π-Expanded coumarins: synthesis, optical properties and applications, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2015, 3, 1421-1446. (IF = 7.059)
25) S. Singha, D. Kim, S. Rao, T. Wang, K. H. Kim, K. Lee, K. Kim, K. H. Ahn, Two-photon probes based on arylsulfonyl azide: fluorescence detection and imaging of biothiols, Dyes and Pigments, 2013, 99, 308-315. (IF = 4.613)
26) D. Kim, S. Singha, T. Wang, E. Seo, J. H. Lee, S. J. Lee, K. H. Kim, K. H. Ahn, In vivo two-photon fluorescence imaging of fluoride with a desilylation-based reactive probe, Chemical Communications, 2012, 48, 10243-10245. (IF = 5.996)
27) A. S. Rao, S. Singha, W. Choi, K. H. Ahn, Studies on acedan-based mononuclear zinc complexes toward selective fluorescent probes for pyrophosphate, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2012, 10, 8410-8417. (IF = 3.412)
28) L. Rajput, S. Singha, K. Biradha, Comparative structural studies on homologues of amides and reverse amides: unprecedented 4-fold interpenetrated quartz network, new beta-sheet, and two-dimensional layers, Crystal Growth & Design, 2007, 7, 2788-2795. (IF = 4.089)