PhD : Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, West Bengal, India
Post Doc. : TUM School of Medicine, Germany
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=urimOcEAAAAJ&hl=en”
“Postdoctoral Fellow, Multiscale Functional and Molecular Imaging Group, TUM School of Medicine,
Ph.D., School of Medical Science and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India”
“Medical imaging: Laser speckle contrast imaging, optoacoustic imaging, optical coherence tomography,
Image processing and computer vision: Spatiotemporal and adaptive filtering, transform domain
processing, multiresolution analysis, image segmentation and morphological processing, image
registration, object localization, object tracking – optical flow.
Machine learning: Supervised and unsupervised classifications, probabilistic graphical models, clustering,
estimation techniques, neural networks.”
My research domain focuses on imaging of human and animal organs in superficial and deep-tissue at
visible and near infra-red regime, aiming to non-invasive, in vivo and label-free assessment of various
anatomical and functional parameters in health and pathology. It encompasses various imaging
modalities like laser speckle imaging, multispectral imaging, optoacoustic imaging etc. to articulate
characteristic response of tissue-photon interaction using computational algorithms. During the tenure
of my research, I worked on developing imaging modalities through electro-optical system designs,
enabling the imaging of organs and deep-tissues with centimetre to micron resolutions. It also combines
a great deal in signal and image processing with significant thrust in de-noising, image reconstruction,segmentation, clustering and machine learning. With progressive applications of scientific deductions and engineering algorithms, it comes to my deep interest to implement and manifest resident
knowledge to innovate newer technological solutions for various biomedical applications.
Awards & Achievements:
- TUM University Foundation Fellowship (Mar 2018 – Feb 2019), TUM Germany.
- Visiting Professor Program (June – July 2017), CentraleSupelec Paris, France.
- Postdoc Mobility Grant (March 2017), TUM Germany.
- Dean’s Travel Grant (April 2014), IIT Kharagpur, India.
- Winner of GE Edison Challenge 2013 (December 2013), GE India.
- MHRD Doctoral Scholarship (July 2010 – June 2014), MHRD, Govt. of India.
- MHRD Post-graduate Scholarship (July 2008 – May 2010), MHRD, Govt. of India.
- University medal for 3rd position in EIE (August 2008), WBUT, India.
- All India Rank 59 (percentile 98.51) in GATE – 2008, India.
- Fellow, TUFF, TU Munich (Since 2018).
- Member, IEEE (Since 2009).
- Member, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Community (Since 2013).
- Member of Advisory Committee, IEEE TechSym 2016.
- Member of Advisory Committee, IEEE Student Branch, IIT Kharagpur (Since 2013).
- Chair, IEEE Student Branch, IIT Kharagpur (2012 – 2013).
- Secretary, IEEE EMB Student Club, IIT Kharagpur (2011 – 2012).
- President, SMST Society, IIT Kharagpur (2009 – 2010).
“Sheet D, Basak K, Ojha T, Karri SPK. Multispectral optical imaging device and computational techniques
for contactless functional imaging. Indian Patent No. 201731022695 dt. 28 June 2017, PCT App. No. PCT/
IN2018/050418 dt. 26 June 2018.”
Basak K, Dutta PK, Mahadevappa M. In vivo speckle imaging of microvasculature and tissue perfusion,
Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, 2016.
- 1. Basak K, Deán-Ben XL, Gottschalk S, Reiss M, Razanksy D. Non-invasive determination of murine
placental and foetal functional parameters with multispectral optoacoustic tomography. Accepted in
Nature: Light Sc. App. (Galley Proof). [IF: 14.098]
- 2. Basak K, Dey G, Mahadevappa M, Mandal M, Sheet D, Dutta PK. Learning of speckle statistics for in vivo and noninvasive characterization of cutaneous wound regions using laser speckle contrast imaging. Microvas. Res. 2016; 107: 6-16. [IF: 2.465]
- 3. Basak K, Dey G, Mahadevappa M, Mandal M, Dutta PK. In vivo Laser speckle imaging by adaptive
contrast computation for microvasculature assessment. Opt. and Lasers in Engg. 2014; 62: 87–94. [IF:
- 4. Basak K, Mahadevappa M, Dutta PK. Review of Laser Speckle-based analysis in Medical Imaging. Med. Bio. Engg. Comp. 2012; 50(6): 547-558. [IF: 1.971]
- 5. Basak K, Mahadevappa M, Dutta PK. Pyramidal Refinement of Lucas – Kanade Optical Flow based
Tracking of Peripheral Air Embolism in OCT Contrast Imaging. Int. Jr. Com. App. 2012; 52(12): 7-12. [IF: 0.702]
- 6. Mandal S, Basak K, Mahadevappa M, Chatterjee J, Ray AK. Development of a Cardiac Pre-Screening
Device for Rural Population in Emerging Economies using Ultra-Low Power Embedded System. IEEE
Trans. Biomed. Engg. 2011; 58(3): 745-749. [IF: 4.288]
- 1. Basak K, Dey G, Sheet D, Mahadevappa M, Mandal M, Dutta PK. Probabilistic graphical modeling of
speckle statistics in laser speckle contrast imaging for noninvasive and label-free retinal angiography.
Proc. Int. Conf. IEEE Engg. Med. Bio. Soc. (EMBC), 2015.
- 2. Basak K, Sheet D, Karri SPK, Mahadevappa M, Chatterjee J, Dutta PK. Learning of Tissue Photon
Interaction in Laser Speckle Contrast Imaging for Label-free Retinal Angiography. Int. Symp. Biomed.
Img. (ISBI), 2014.
- 3. Basak K, Mahadevappa M, Dutta PK. Multiscale Noise-Adaptive Homomorphic Filtering based Speckle
Denoising in Laser Speckle Imaging. Proc. Nat. Conf. Comp. Vis. Patt. Recog. Img. Proces. Graph.
- 4. Basak K, Patra R, Mahadevappa M, Dutta PK. Automated Detection of Air Embolism in OCT Contrast
Imaging: Anisotropic Diffusion and Active Contour based Approach. Proc. Int. Conf. Emerg. App. Inf.
Tech. (EAIT), 2012.
- 5. Mandal S, Martis RJ, Acharya UR, Basak K, Chakraborty C, Mandana KM, Ray AK. A Framework for
Early Automated Diagnosis of Coronary Artery Disease using Data Fusion of Electrocardiogram and
Phonocardiogram Signals. Proc. IEEE EMBS Spl. Topic Conf. Point-of-Care Healthcare Tech. (PoCHT),
- 6. Basak K, Mandal S, Mahadevappa M, Chatterjee J, Ray AK. A Comparative Study of Phonocardiogram
Analysis Techniques based on Mixed Signal Processor. Proc. INDICON, 2010.
- 7. Basak K, Mandal S, Mahadevappa M, Chatterjee J, Ray AK. Phonocardiogram Signal Analysis using
Adaptive Line Enhancer Methods on Mixed Signal Processor. Proc. Int. Conf. Sig. Proces. Comm.
- 8. Mandal S, Basak K, Mahadevappa M, Chatterjee J, Ray AK. A Wavelet Based Approach to Heart Sound
De-noising and Segmentation. Proc. Int. Conf. Elect. Desig. Sig. Proces. (ICEDSP), 2009.
- 9. Patra R, Basak K, Chakraborty C. CADLID: Pattern Classification Approach to Computer Aided Diagnosis of Liver Disease. Proc. Innov. Conf. Emb. Sys. Mob. Comm. Comp. 2010.
- 10. Basak K, Mondal S, Hajzra S, Das A, Bera MK. Rapid Software Prototyping and Verification of Railway Interlocking System using State chart. Proc. Nat. Conf. Emerg. Tech. Tech. Edu. (ET & TE), 2008.