Centre For Interdisciplinary Sciences (CIS)
JIS INSTITUTE OF ADVANCED STUDIES AND RESEARCH
ARCH WATERFRONT 17TH FLOOR, SECTOR-5, Kolkata-700091, India
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=D0XkyI4AAAAJ&hl=en
Web page: https://senjitiitkgp.wixsite.com/jisiasr-prg
PhD (2008-2013):Materials Science Centre, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, WB, India
August 2023- present: Associate Professor, Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, JISIASR Kolkata, JIS University, WB, India
2019-2023: Assistant Professor and Head, Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, JISIASR Kolkata, JIS University, WB, India
2015-2019: Assistant Professor (DST Inspire Faculty), IIEST-Shibpur, WB, India
2015-2015: Postdoctoral Fellow at M.G. University, Kottayam, Kerala, India
2013-2014: Gyeongsang National University, Rep. of Korea, and
2012-2013: Head, R&D and Development at KE Technical Textiles Pvt. Ltd., Kharagpur, India
Research Topic:“Polymer Research Group”at CIS-JISIASR is primarily interested in fabrication techniques of several of biobased polymers and materials using 3D printing, electrospinning, and high-pressure molding unit. Prior to fabrication, we also study the structure property relationship with respect to chemical modifications of the polymeric materials as per requirements. Our research work deals with wide range of materials from hydrogel to natural fibers. The applications of fabricated materials meet the requirements of health, environment, and biomaterials industries. We are well equipped with modern fabrication facilities and infrastructures for executing advanced research.
Research Focus:Some of the interesting areas presently being studiedby our group are presented:
1. Artificial skin scaffold for Bone/Tissue Engineering:
In this project (funded by Inspire Faculty Scheme), the fabrication of structurally modified scaffold with biocompatible polymer materials such as chitosan, hyaluronic acid are electrospun to guide cell polarization and migration, through which epidermal wound healing may get accelerated
2. 3D printed biomaterials and Bioink
Research on development and designing of polymer based artificial biomaterials and bioink are studied for fabrication of bio-implants for tissue engineering, bone regeneration. 3D bio-fabrication technology (a part of additive manufacturing) is used for optimization of printing of biomaterials and bioink. 3-D bioprinted chitosan and cellulose can also be used for highly specific and sensitive smart bioprintable materials.
3. Eco-friendly fire retardant, hydrophobic, and light-weight structural composites:
Polymeric materials are inevitable in modern society because they exhibit lightweight, superior mechanical, chemical stability, corrosion resistance, and substantial specific strength. However, most of the polymers are highly flammable, and hydrophilic due to their chemical structures and organic compositions significantly restricts their practical applications. Our research group is working on development of non-eco-friendly process of coatingfor fire-retardant and water resistant natural polymer composites that can sustain at high temperature and moisture with enhanced escape time. This will open-up a new direction of material research for commercial production of light-weight polymer-fiber composites for advanced structural applications.
4. Simple low-cost water purifier using natural materials applying basic nanotechnology
We are developing a natural fiber/polymer based inexpensive integrated column for point of source surface water purification. Details are available on request.
Patents:1. Methods for decreasing aqueous halide and organohalide levels using plant biomass, by Suvendu Manna, Prosenjit Saha, Debasis Roy, Ramkrishna Sen, Basudam Adhikari. (US-2014/0374357 A1, Dec.25, 2014)
2. Chemical Modification of Lignocellulosic Fibers with Vegetable oil, by Prosenjit Saha, Suvendu Manna, G Khanzode, Ramkrishna Sen, Debasis Roy, Basudam Adhikari Indian Patent Applications 1263/KOL/2009 of 19/10/09 (2009)
Guest Editor of Special Issue
Special issue is being edited by Dr. Prosenjit Saha, and Prof. Jinku Kim to be published in Biomimetics (SCIE-Indexed, IF 3.743) MDPI. Special Issue: Application of 3D Bioprinting in Biomedical Engineering. [Website:https://www.mdpi.com/journal/biomimetics/special_issues/7HY958E384]
1. 3D Bioprinting from Lab to Industry, to be published by John Wiley & Sons in Nov., 2023.
2. Multicomponent Polymer Materials, published by Springer, Edited by: Jin Kuk Kim-SabuThomas-Prosenjit Saha (2016). Hardcover ISBN: 978-94-017-7323-2
3. Rubber Recycling: Challenges and New Developments, by RSC Publishers, 2018,. Ed: Prosenjit Saha, Jin Kuk Kim, Sabu Thomas, Jozef Hapouniuk, Aswathi MK. ISBN: 978-1- 78801-084-9
- Multi Component Materials, Chapter-1, Prosenjit Saha, Sukanya Chowdhury, Min Cheol Kim, and Jin Kuk Kim. Ed: Jin kuk Kim. Sabu Thomas,Prosenjit Saha.Multicomponent Polymeric Materials, Springer, ISBN 978-94-017-7324-9, 2016, pp-03, chapter-1
- Design for Multicomponent Materilas, Chapter-2, Jaideep Adhikari, Sukanya Chowdhury, Prosenjit Saha*, Jin Kuk Kim. Ed: Jin kuk Kim, Sabu Thomas, Prosenjit Saha. Multicomponent Polymeric Materials, Springer, ISBN 978-94-017-7324-9, 2016, pp-13, chapter-2
- Lignocellulosic materials for Geotextiles and Geocomposite for Engineering Applications. Prosenjit Saha*, S. Chowdhury, J Adhikary, Springer, Lignocellulosic Composite Materials, Edited by Susheel Kalia. ISBN 978-3-319-68696-7, 2017, PP-357-388, CHAPTER-09
- Alkali Treatment to Improve Physical, Mechanical and Chemical Properties of Lignocellulosic Natural Fibers for Use in Various Applications, S. Manna, P. Saha, S. Chowdhury, S. Thomas. Lignocellulosic Biomass Production and Industrial Applications, Edited by A Kuila, V Sharma, Wiley Publishers, ISBN: 978-1-119-32360-0. 2017, pp-47, chapter-03
- Nanobiomaterials for removal of fluoride and chlorophenols from water, S. Manna, DA Gopikumar, D. Roy, P. Saha, S. Thomas. Ch. 20, New Polymer Nanocomposites for Environmental Remediation edited by Chaudhery Mustansar Hussain, Ajay Kumar Mishra. Elsever, NL. 2018. ISBN: 9780128110331, pp-487, chapter-20
- Surface modification of metallic bone implants Polymer and polymer-assisted coating for bone in-growth, Jaideep Adhikari, Prosenjit Saha, Arijit Sinha, Chapter 14, Fundamental Biomaterials: Metals, , Edited by:Preetha Balakrishnan, Sreekala M S and Sabu Thomas, 2018, ISBN-978-0-08-102205-4.
- Grinding of waste rubber, Jaideep Adhikari, Tridib Sinha, Prosenjit Saha and Jin Kuk Kim, Rubber Recycling: Challenges and Developments Editors: Jin Kuk Kim, Prosenjit Saha, Sabu Thomas, Józef T Haponiuk , Aswathi MK. 2018, ISBN, RSC 978-1-78801-084-9, chapter-1, pp-1
- Testing and Industrial Characterization for Waste Rubber. Suprabha Bandyopadhyay, Md. Minhajur Rahman and Prosenjit Saha, Rubber Recycling: Challenges and Developments Editors: Jin Kuk Kim, Prosenjit Saha, Sabu Thomas, Józef T Haponiuk , Aswathi MK. 2018, ISBN, RSC 978-1-78801-084-9, chapter-06, pp-128
- Anindya Das, Jaideep Adhikari, Prosenjit Saha Electrospun polymeric nano carbons and nanomats for tissue engineering Chapter 04, Nanocarbon and its Composites: Preparation, Properties and Applications ISBN 9780081025093, 2019, Woodhead Publishing, Editor: Dr. Anish Khan
- Kishor Kumar Sadasivuni, Sunita Rattan, Sadiya Waseem, Snehal Kargirwar Brahme, Subhash B. Kondawar, S. Ghosh, A. P. Das, Pritam Kisore Chakraborty, Jaideep Adhikari, Prosenjit Saha and Payal Mazumdar; Silver Nanoparticles and Its Polymer Nanocomposites—Synthesis, Optimization, Biomedical Usage, and Its Various Applications;2019, K. . K. Sadasivuni et al. (eds.), Polymer Nanocomposites in Biomedical Engineering, Lecture Notes in Bioengineering, 331-373, ISBN 978-3-030-04741-2 , Springer Nature Switzerland 2019.
- Hybrid plastics and natural materials; Avinava Ray, Anway Naskar, Arkajit Ghosh, Jaideep Adhikari, Prosenjit Saha, Manojit Ghosh; Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering,Elsevier, 2021.
- Chapter 24 – Tissue engineered products—Translational avenues; Nisha Shankhwar, Prosenjit Saha, Marta Zurek-Mortka, Sabu Thomas, Aynur Unala, Tissue Engineering Current Status and Challenges 2022, Pages 575-625. Academic Press.
- Chanda, A., Adhikari, J., Ghosh, M., Saha, P*. (2023). PTT-Based Green Composites. In: Ajitha, A.R., Thomas, S. (eds) Poly Trimethylene Terephthalate. Materials Horizons: From Nature to Nanomaterials. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-19-7303-1_9. Pp-167-185.
- Enhancement of tensile strength of lignocellulosic jute fibers by alkali-steam treatment, by Prosenjit Saha, Suvendu Manna, Sougata Roy Chowdhury, Ramkrishna Sen, Debasis Roy, Basudam Adhikari. Bioresource Technology 101, 3182-87 (2010), (No. of Citations: 160): Impact Factor-7.539.
- Durability of Lignocellulosic Fibers Treated with Vegetable Oil-Phenolic Resin, by Prosenjit Saha, Suvendu Manna, Ramkrishna Sen, Debasis Roy, Basudam Adhikari. Carbohydrate Polymers 87, 1628-36 (2012), Impact Factor-7.182.
- Durability of transesterified jute-geotextiles, by Prosenjit Saha, Suvendu Manna, Debasis Roy, Ramkrishna Sen, Basudam Adhikari and Sukumar Roy. Geotextiles and Geomembranes35, 69-75 (2012), Impact Factor-3.400.
- Composition analysis and material characterization of an emulsifying extracellular polysaccharide (EPS) produced by Bacillus megaterium RB-05: A hydrodynamic sediment-attached isolate of fresh water origin, by S Roychowdhury, S Manna, Prosenjit Saha, R K Basak, R Sen, B Adhikari. Journal of Applied Microbiology111, 1381-93 (2011), Impact Factor-3.066.
- Enhanced biodegradation resistance of biomodified jute fibers, by Suvendu Manna, Prosenjit Saha, Debasis Roy, Ramkrishna Sen, Sancharini Das, Basudam Adhikari. Carbohydrate Polymers, 93, 597-603, 2013, Impact Factor-7.182.
- Novel polymer composite from waste ethylene-propylene-diene-monomer rubber by supercritical CO2 foaming technology, by Keuk Min Jeong, Yeo Joo Hong, Prosenjit Saha, Seong Ho Park, Jin Kuk Kim. Waste Management and Research., 32, 1113, 2014, (Accepted, DOI- 10.1177/0734242X14545375), Impact Factor-2.771.
- Effect of photodegradation of lignocellulosic fibers transesterified with vegetable oil by Prosenjit Saha*, Suvendu Manna, Debasis Roy, Sukanya Chowdhury, Sushmita De, Ramkrishna Sen, Basudam Adhikari, and JK Kim. Fibers and Polymers 15, 2345-2354 (2014), Impact Factor-1.876.
- Processing and Characterization of Electrospun Trans-polyisoprene nanofibers, by Qi Chen, Prosenjit Saha, Nam Gyeoung Kim, Jin Kuk Kim. J PolymEngg., 35, 53, 2015. Impact Factor-1.126.
- Processing and Characterization of Microwave and Ultrasonically Treated Waste-EPDM/LDPE polymer composites by Yeo Joo Hong, Keuk Min Jeong, Prosenjit Saha, Jaechan Suh, Jin Kuk Kim. Polymer Engg. Sci. 55, 533-540, 2015. Impact Factor-1.917.
- Green Polyurethane from Dimer Acid based Polyether Polyols: Synthesis and Characterization, by Feng Yu, Prosenjit Saha, Pyoung Won Suh, Jin Kuk Kim. J Appl Polym Sci. 132 (5), 41410-18, 2015. Impact Factor-2.52.
- Biodegradation of chemically modified jute fibers, By, Prosenjit Saha*, S Manna, D Roy, S Chowdhury, S Banik, B Adhikari, JK Kim. J Natural Fibers,542-551, 12, 2015. Impact Factor-2.622.
- Novel elastomer nanocomposite with uniform silica dispersion from polybutadiene rubber treated with epoxidized soybean oil, by Kyung Gun Kim, Prosenjit Saha, Jin Hong Kim; Su Hwang Jo, Jin Kuk Kim. J Comp Materials, 3005-16, 49, 2015. Impact Factor-1.972.
- Defluoridation of aqueous solution using alkali-steam treated water hyacinth and elephant grass, by P Saha, S Manna, D Roy, B Adhikari, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 50, 215-222, 2015. Impact Factor-4.794.
- Biodegradation of chemically modified Lignocellulosic sisal fibers: Study of the mechanism for enzymatic degradation of cellulose by, Prosenjit Saha*, S Manna, D Roy, S Chowdhury, S Banik, B Adhikari, JK Kim. e-Polymers, 15, 158-194, 2015. Impact Factor-1.675.
- Development of nanocomposite with epoxidized natural rubber and functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotubes for enhanced thermal conductivity and gas barrier property, by Jae Ok Jo, Prosenjit Saha, Nam Gyeong Kim, Chang Ho Choi, Jin Kuk Kim. Materials and Designs, 83, 777-785, 2015. Impact Factor-6.289.
- A brief review on the chemical modifications of lignocellulosic fibers for durable engineering composites, by Prosenjit Saha*, Debasis Roy, Sukanya Chowdhury, Basudam Adhikari, Jin Kuk KimPolymer Bulletin, Sabu Thomas. Polymer Bulletin, 73,2016, 587-620), Review paper,Impact Factor-2.014.
- Defluoridation potential of jute fibers grafted with fatty acyl chain, by S. Manna, P. Saha, D.Roy, R.Sen, B.Adhikari. Applied Surface Science, 356, 30-38, 2015. Impact Factor-6.182.
- New Biobased Surface Treatment to Improve Strength and Durability of Bombax ceiba, by P Saha*, S Manna, D Roy, S Chowdhury, R Sen, B Adhikari, and Sabu Thomas. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 4 (1), 76–84, 2016. Impact Factor: 7.632.
- Removal of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid from aqueous medium using modified jute, Suvendu Manna, Prosenjit Saha, Debasis Roy, Ramkrishna Sen, Basudam Adhikari. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 67, 298-299, 2016, Impact Factor-4.794.
- Fabrication of chitosan/PEO nanofiber mats with mica by electrospinning, by Qi Chen, Zhen Xiang Xin, Prosenjit Saha, Jin Kuk Kim. J Polym Eng., 37, 461-470, 2016, Impact Factor-1.126.
- Rapid methylene blue adsorption using modified lignocellulosic materials, by S Manna, D Roy, P Saha, D Gopakumar, S Thomas, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 107, 346-356, 2017, Impact Factor- 4.966.
- Functionalized reduced graphene oxide (fRGO) for removal of fulvic acid contaminant, by SK Roy, C Majumdar, Prosenjit Saha*, RSC Advances,7, 21768–21779, 2017,ImpactFactor-3.119.
- Fixed bed column study for water defluoridation using neem oil-phenolic resin treated plant bio-sorbent, by Suvendu Manna, Prosenjit Saha, Debasis Roy, Basudam Adhikari, Papita Das. J Env. Management, Volume 212, 15 April 2018, Pages 424–432. Impact Factor-5.647.
- Tuning of microstructure in engineered poly (trimethyleneterephthalate based blends with nano inclusion as multifunctional additive, by Ajitha A. R, Geethamma V. G, Lovely Mathewa, Prosenjit Saha, Nandakumar Kalarikkala, Sabu Thomas, Michał Strankowski, Polym Testing, 68, 2018, 395-404, ImpactFactor-3.245.
- Electrospun chitosan/polycaprolactone-hyaluronic acid bilayered scaffold for potential wound healing applications, by Amit Chanda, 1, Jaideep Adhikari, Aritri Ghosh, Sougata Roy Chowdhury, Sabu Thomas, Pallab Datta, Prosenjit Saha*, Int J Biological Macromolecules, 116, 774, 2018, Impact Factor = 5.162.
- Devulcanization of waste rubber powder using thiobisphenols as novel reclaiming agent, by Xiaojie Zhang, Prosenjit Saha, Lan Cao, Huan Li, Jinkuk Kim. Waste Management, 78, 2018, 980-991, Impact Factor = 5.448.
- Carbon nanotube reinforced poly (trimethylene terephthalate) nanocomposites: viscoelastic properties and chain confinement. by M K, Aswathi; M, Padmanabhan; Mathew, Lovely; Saha, Prosenjit; Terzano, Roberto ;Kalarikkal, Nandakumar; Volova, Tatiana G.; Thomas, Sabu. Accepted in Polymer Engineering & Science, DOI: 10.1002/pen.25010, 2018, Impact Factor = 1.917.
- Preparation of novel bio-elastomers with enhanced interaction with silica filler for low rolling resistance and improved wet grip, by Min Cheol Kim, Jaideep Adhikari, Jin Kuk Kim, Prosenjit Saha*, Journal of Cleaner Production,208, 1622, 2019, Impact Factor = 7. 246.
- Facile fabrication of electrospun regenerated cellulose nanofiber scaffold for potential bone-tissue engineering application, by Pritam Kishore Chakraborty, Jaideep Adhikari, Prosenjit Saha*, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 122, 644, 2019, Impact Factor = 5.162.
- Thermal stability, swelling and degradation behaviour of natural fibre based hybrid polymer composites, Bhabatosh Biswas, Pravin Sawai, Angshuman Santra, Amal Gain, Prosenjit Saha, Bhairab Chandra Mitra, Nil Ratan Bandyopadhyay, Arijit Sinha. Cellulose (2019) 26, pages4445–4461, 2019.Impact Factor = 4.210.
- Recent advances in mechanical properties of biopolymer composites: a review, Kishor Kumar Sadasivuni, Prosenjit Saha, Jaideep Adhikari, Kalim Deshmukh, M. Basheer Ahamed, John‐John Cabibihan. Polymer Composites, 41, 32-59, 2020; Impact Factor = 2.265.
- Effects of processing parameters of 3D bioprinting on the cellular activity of bioinks, Jaideep Adhikari, Avinava Roy, Anindya Das, Manojit Ghosh, Sabu Thomas, Arijit Sinha, Jinku Kim, Prosenjit Saha*, Accepted for publication to Macromolecular Biosciences, 2021, 21(1), 2000179, Impact Factor = 3.416
- Variation of properties of sol-gel synthesized bioactive glass 45S5 in organic and inorganic acid catalysts; Pritam Kishore Chakraborty, Jaideep Adhikari and Prosenjit Saha*, Materials Advances, RSC, 2021, 2, 413.
- Development of hydroxyapatite reinforced alginate–chitosan based printable biomaterial-ink; Jaideep Adhikari, Md. Shahid Perwez, Anindya Das, ProsenjitSaha*; Nano Structures & Nano Objects, 2021, 25, 100630.
- N. Mejjad, R. Farhan, N. Chakhchaoui, N. Shankhwar, A. Unal, Murthy, H.,…P. Saha,… & Thomas, S. “Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Plastic Waste Management: A Bibliometric Analysis by using Dimension. Ai”, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Big Data, Modelling and Machine Learning – BML, 538-545, 2021 , Kenitra, Morocco, 2021.
- Adhikari, J, Ghosh, M, Das, P, Basak, P, Saha, P*. “Polycaprolactone assisted electrospinning of honey/betel with chitosan for tissue engineering”, 2022, Materials Today: Proceedings, 57, 1, 307-15, 2022
- Effects of surface patterning and topography on cellular functions of tissue engineered scaffolds with special reference to 3D bioprinting. https://doi.org/10.1039/D2BM01499H. RSC Biomaterials Science 2023.
- Adhikari, Jaideep, Prosenjit Saha, et al. “Functionalized mesoporous SiO2-CaO-Na2O-P2O5 based nanometric glass-ceramic particles with enhanced dispersibility and bioactivity.” Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology (2023): 1-18. ImpactFactor = 2.606.
- Ganesh A, Gupta N, Saha P, Bhattacharya P. 3D Printing of MXenes-Based Electrodes for Energy Storage Applications. RecentProgress in Materials 2023; 5(2): 020; doi:10.21926/rpm.2302020.
- Adhikari, Jaideep, Prosenjit Saha, et al. Collagen incorporated functionalized bacterial cellulose composite: a macromolecular approach for successful tissue engineering applications,August 2023, Cellulose, DOI
Research Grants Awarded
- DST INSPIRE-FACULTY SCHEME Funded INR 35.00 Lakhs for research project as PI (2015-2021), PI: Dr. Prosenjit Saha
- DST-SERB supported INR 42.00 Lakhs for research project (2016-2019; Completed), PI: Dr. Prosenjit Saha
- DST-SEED supported INR 21.00 Lakhs for research project as PI (2017-2020; Completed), PI: Dr. Prosenjit Saha
- SERB Karyashala grant supported INR 4.00 Lakhs (July 2022)
- SERB-CRG research grant supported INR 38.00 Lakhs (2022-2026) (Ongoing)
- DST-AMT research grant supported INR 27.00 Lakhs (2023-2025) (To be started)
Awards & Achievements:
- DST Inspire Faculty Award from DST, Govt. of India at IIEST-Shibpur, WB, India
- DS Kothari Postdoctoral Fellowship from UGC, Govt. of India.
- Johan Gadolin Postdoc Fellowship, Abo Academi for 8 months research stay in Finland
- South African National Research Fellowship (NRF) for postdoctoral research in South Africa (2013)
- Postdoc Research Grant for Senior Researcher at Gyeongsang National University, Rep. of Korea
- CSIR-SRF Fellowship from HRDG-CSIR, Govt. of India.
- Life Member, The Indian Institute of Metals (IIM), Membership No. 55083
MTech Thesis: 06 (Completed)
MSc: 04 (Completed)
BSc/ BTech: 03 (Completed)
PhD: 02 Submitted, 03Ongoing