Assistant Professor & Head Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, JISIASR
MSc (University of Calcutta),
PhD (IIT Kharagpur),
Post-Doc (GNU, S. Korea; MGU, Kerala)
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=D0XkyI4AAAAJ&hl=en
Postdoctoral Fellow (2013-2015): Gyeongsang National University, Rep. of Korea, and M.G.University, Kerala, India
PhD (2008-2012): Materials Science Centre, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, WB, India
M.Sc. (2005-2007): University of Calcutta, India
2015-2019: Assistant Professor (DST Inspire Faculty), IIEST-Shibpur, WB, India
2015-2015: Postdoctoral Fellow at M.G. University, Kottayam, Kerala, India
2013-2014: Gyeongsang National University, Rep. of Korea, and
2012-2013: Head, R&D and Development at KE Technical Textiles Pvt. Ltd., Kharagpur, India
We mainly deal with fabrication techniques of several of biological polymers and materials using 3D printing, electrospinning, and high pressure molding unit. Prior to fabrication, we also do chemical modifications as per requirements. Our research work deals with wide range of materials from hydrogel to natural fibers. The applications of fabricated materials meet the requirements of health, environment, and biomaterials industries. We are well equipped with modern fabrication facilities and infrastructures for executing advanced research.
Some of the interesting works presently executing in our lab are the following:
- Artificial skin scaffold for Tissue Engineering:
In this project (funded by Inspire Faculty Scheme), the fabrication of structurally modified scaffold with biocompatible polymer materials such as chitosan, hyaluronic acid are electrospun to guide cell polarization and migration, through which epidermal wound healing may get accelerated
2. 3D printed biomaterials
Research on development and fabrication of polymer based artificial biomaterials and implants for tissue engineering applications is focused using advanced materials and 3D bio-fabrication technology. 3-D bioprinted chitin and cellulose can also be used for highly specific and sensitive smart skin.
3. Eco-friendly fire retardant, light-weight structural composites:
Polymeric materials are inevitable in modern society because they feature lightweight, superior mechanical, chemical stability, corrosion resistance, good specific strength. However, most of the polymers are highly flammable due to their chemical structures and organic compositions significantly restricts their practical applications. Our research group is working on development of non-eco-friendly process of fabricating fire-retardant natural polymer based composites that can sustain at high temperature with enhanced escape time. This will open-up a new direction of material research for commercial production of light-weight polymer-fiber composites for advanced structural applications.
4. Simple low-cost water purifier using natural materials applying basic nanotechnology
We are developing a natural fiber/polymer based inexpensive integrated column for point of source surface water purification. Details are available on request.
1. Methods for decreasing aqueous halide and organohalide levels using plant biomass, by Suvendu Manna, Prosenjit Saha, Debasis Roy, Ramkrishna Sen, Basudam Adhikari. (US-2014/0374357 A1, Dec.25, 2014)
- Chemical Modification of Lignocellulosic Fibers with Vegetable oil, by Prosenjit Saha, Suvendu Manna, G Khanzode, Ramkrishna Sen, Debasis Roy, Basudam Adhikari Indian Patent Applications 1263/KOL/2009 of 19/10/09 (2009)
- Multicomponent Polymer Mterials, To be published by Springer, Edited by: Jin Kuk Kim-Sabu Thomas-Prosenjit Saha (2016). Hardcover ISBN: 978-94-017-7323-2
- Rubber Recycling: Challenges and New Developments, by RSC Publishers, 2018,. Ed: Prosenjit Saha, Jin Kuk Kim, Sabu Thomas, Jozef Hapouniuk, Aswathi MK. ISBN: 978-1-78801-084-9
- Multi Component Materials, Chapter-1, Prosenjit Saha, Sukanya Chowdhury, Min Cheol Kim, and Jin Kuk Kim. Ed: Jin kuk Kim. Sabu Thomas, Prosenjit Saha. Multicomponent Polymeric Materials, Springer, ISBN 978-94-017-7324-9, 2016, pp-03, chapter-1
- Design for Multicomponent Materilas, Chapter-2, Jaideep Adhikari, Sukanya chowdhury, ProsenjitSaha*, Jin kuk Kim. Ed: Jin kuk Kim, Sabu Thomas, Prosenjit Saha. Multicomponent Polymeric Materials, Springer, ISBN 978-94-017-7324-9, 2016, pp-13, chapter-2
- Lignocellulosic materials for Geotextiles and Geocomposite for Engineering Applications. Prosenjit Saha*, S. Chowdhury, J Adhikary, Springer, Lignocellulosic Composite Materials, Edited by Susheel Kalia. ISBN 978-3-319-68696-7, 2017, PP-357-388, CHAPTER-09
- Alkali Treatment to Improve Physical, Mechanical and Chemical Properties of Lignocellulosic Natural Fibers for Use in Various Applications, S. Manna, Saha, S. Chowdhury, S. Thomas. Lignocellulosic Biomass Production and Industrial Applications, Edited by A Kuila, V Sharma, Wiley Publishers, ISBN: 978-1-119-32360-0. 2017, pp-47, chapter-03
- Nanobiomaterials for removal of fluoride and chlorophenols from water, S. Manna, DA Gopikumar, D. Roy, P. Saha, S. Thomas. Ch. 20, New Polymer Nanocomposites for Environmental Remediation edited by Chaudhery Mustansar Hussain, Ajay Kumar Mishra. Elsever, NL. 2018. ISBN: 9780128110331, pp-487, chapter-20
- Surface modification of metallic bone implants—Polymer and polymer-assisted coating for bone in-growth, Jaideep Adhikari, Prosenjit Saha, Arijit Sinha, Chapter 14, Fundamental Biomaterials: Metals, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-102205-4.00014-3.
- Grinding of waste rubber, Jaideep Adhikari, Tridib Sinha, Prosenjit Saha and Jin Kuk Kim, Rubber Recycling: Challenges and DevelopmentsEditors: Jin Kuk Kim, Prosenjit Saha, Sabu Thomas, Józef T Haponiuk , Aswathi MK. 2018, ISBN, RSC 978-1-78801-084-9, chapter-1, pp-1
- Suprabha Bandyopadhyay, Md. Minhajur Rahman and Prosenjit Saha, Testing and Industrial Characterization for Waste Rubber. Rubber Recycling: Challenges and DevelopmentsEditors: Jin Kuk Kim, Prosenjit Saha, Sabu Thomas, Józef T Haponiuk , Aswathi MK. 2018, ISBN, RSC 978-1-78801-084-9, chapter-06, pp-128
- Anindya Das, Jaideep Adhikari, Prosenjit Saha Electrospun polymeric nano carbons and nanomats for tissue engineering , Nanocarbon and its Composites: Preparation, Properties and ApplicationsISBN: 9780081025093, 2019, Woodhead Publishing, Editor: Dr. Anish Khan
- Enhancement of tensile strength of lignocellulosic jute fibers by alkali-steam treatment, by Prosenjit Saha, Suvendu Manna, Sougata Roy Chowdhury, Ramkrishna Sen, Debasis Roy, Basudam Adhikari. Bioresource Technology101, 3182-87 (2010), (No. of Citations: 160):Impact Factor-7.539.
- Durability of Lignocellulosic Fibers Treated with Vegetable Oil-Phenolic Resin, by Prosenjit Saha, Suvendu Manna, Ramkrishna Sen, Debasis Roy, Basudam Adhikari. Carbohydrate Polymers 87, 1628-36 (2012), Impact Factor-7.182.
- Durability of transesterified jute-geotextiles, by Prosenjit Saha, Suvendu Manna, Debasis Roy, Ramkrishna Sen, Basudam Adhikari and Sukumar Roy. Geotextiles and Geomembranes 35, 69-75 (2012), Impact Factor-3.400.
- Composition analysis and material characterization of an emulsifying extracellular polysaccharide (EPS) produced by Bacillus megaterium RB-05: A hydrodynamic sediment-attached isolate of fresh water origin, by S Roychowdhury, S Manna, Prosenjit Saha, R K Basak, R Sen, B Adhikari. Journal of Applied Microbiology 111, 1381-93 (2011), Impact Factor-3.066.
- Enhanced biodegradation resistance of biomodified jute fibers, by Suvendu Manna, Prosenjit Saha, Debasis Roy, Ramkrishna Sen, Sancharini Das, Basudam Adhikari. Carbohydrate Polymers, 93, 597-603, 2013, Impact Factor-7.182.
- Novel polymer composite from waste ethylene-propylene-diene-monomer rubber by supercritical CO2 foaming technology, by Keuk Min Jeong, Yeo Joo Hong, Prosenjit Saha, Seong Ho Park, Jin Kuk Kim. Waste Management and Research., 32, 1113, 2014, (Accepted, DOI- 10.1177/0734242X14545375), Impact Factor-2.771.
- Effect of photodegradation of lignocellulosic fibers transesterified with vegetable oil by Prosenjit Saha*, Suvendu Manna, Debasis Roy, Sukanya Chowdhury, Sushmita De, Ramkrishna Sen, Basudam Adhikari, and JK Kim. Fibers and Polymers 15, 2345-2354 (2014), Impact Factor-1.876.
- Processing and Characterization of Electrospun Trans-polyisoprene nanofibers, by Qi Chen, Prosenjit Saha, Nam Gyeoung Kim, Jin Kuk Kim. J Polym Engg., 35, 53, 2015. Impact Factor-1.126.
- Processing and Characterization of Microwave and Ultrasonically Treated Waste-EPDM/LDPE polymer composites by Yeo Joo Hong, Keuk Min Jeong, Prosenjit Saha, Jaechan Suh, Jin Kuk Kim. Polymer Engg. Sci. 55, 533-540, 2015. Impact Factor-1.917.
- Green Polyurethane from Dimer Acid based Polyether Polyols: Synthesis and Characterization, by Feng Yu, Prosenjit Saha, Pyoung Won Suh, Jin Kuk Kim. J Appl Polym Sci. 132 (5), 41410-18, 2015. Impact Factor-2.52.
- Biodegradation of chemically modified jute fibers, By, Prosenjit Saha*, S Manna, D Roy, S Chowdhury, S Banik, B Adhikari, JK Kim. J Natural Fibers, 542-551, 12, 2015. Impact Factor-2.622.
- Novel elastomer nanocomposite with uniform silica dispersion from polybutadiene rubber treated with epoxidized soybean oil, by Kyung Gun Kim, Prosenjit Saha, Jin Hong Kim; Su Hwang Jo, Jin Kuk Kim. J Comp Materials, 3005-16, 49, 2015. Impact Factor-1.972.
- Defluoridation of aqueous solution using alkali-steam treated water hyacinth and elephant grass, by P Saha, S Manna, D Roy, B Adhikari, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 50, 215-222, 2015. Impact Factor-4.794.
- Biodegradation of chemically modified Lignocellulosic sisal fibers: Study of the mechanism for enzymatic degradation of cellulose by, Prosenjit Saha*, S Manna, D Roy, S Chowdhury, S Banik, B Adhikari, JK Kim. e-Polymers, 15, 158-194, 2015. Impact Factor-1.675.
- Development of nanocomposite with epoxidized natural rubber and functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotubes for enhanced thermal conductivity and gas barrier property, by Jae Ok Jo, Prosenjit Saha, Nam Gyeong Kim, Chang Ho Choi, Jin Kuk Kim. Materials and Designs, 83, 777-785, 2015. Impact Factor-6.289.
- A brief review on the chemical modifications of lignocellulosic fibers for durable engineering composites, by Prosenjit Saha*, Debasis Roy, Sukanya Chowdhury, Basudam Adhikari, Jin Kuk Kim Polymer Bulletin, Sabu Thomas. Polymer Bulletin, 73,2016, 587-620), Review paper, Impact Factor-2.014.
- Defluoridation potential of jute fibers grafted with fatty acyl chain, by S. Manna, Saha, D.Roy, R.Sen, B.Adhikari. Applied Surface Science, 356, 30-38, 2015. Impact Factor-6.182.
- New Biobased Surface Treatment to Improve Strength and Durability of Bombax ceiba, by P Saha*, S Manna, D Roy, S Chowdhury, R Sen, B Adhikari, and Sabu Thomas. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 4 (1), 76–84, 2016. Impact Factor: 7.632.
- Removal of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid from aqueous medium using modified jute, Suvendu Manna, Prosenjit Saha, Debasis Roy, Ramkrishna Sen, Basudam Adhikari. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 67, 298-299, 2016, Impact Factor-4.794.
- Fabrication of chitosan/PEO nanofiber mats with mica by electrospinning, by Qi Chen, Zhen Xiang Xin, Prosenjit Saha, Jin Kuk Kim. J Polym Eng., 37, 461-470, 2016, Impact Factor-1.126.
- Rapid methylene blue adsorption using modified lignocellulosic materials, by S Manna, D Roy, P Saha, D Gopakumar, S Thomas, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 107, 346-356, 2017, Impact Factor- 4.966.
- Functionalized reduced graphene oxide (fRGO) for removal of fulvic acid contaminant, by SK Roy, C Majumdar, Prosenjit Saha*, RSC Advances, 7, 21768–21779, 2017, Impact Factor-3.119.
- Fixed bed column study for water defluoridation using neem oil-phenolic resin treated plant bio-sorbent, by Suvendu Manna, Prosenjit Saha, Debasis Roy, Basudam Adhikari, Papita Das. J Env. Management, Volume 212, 15 April 2018, Pages 424–432. Impact Factor-5.647.
- Tuning of microstructure in engineered poly (trimethylene terephthalate based blends with nano inclusion as multifunctional additive, by Ajitha A. R, Geethamma V. G, Lovely Mathewa, Prosenjit Saha, Nandakumar Kalarikkala, Sabu Thomas, Michał Strankowski, Polym Testing, 68, 2018, 395-404, Impact Factor-3.245.
- Electrospun chitosan/polycaprolactone-hyaluronic acid bilayered scaffold for potential wound healing applications, by Amit Chanda, 1, Jaideep Adhikari, Aritri Ghosh, Sougata Roy Chowdhury, Sabu Thomas, Pallab Datta, Prosenjit Saha*, Int J Biological Macromolecules, 116, 774, 2018, Impact Factor = 5.162.
- Devulcanization of waste rubber powder using thiobisphenols as novel reclaiming agent, by Xiaojie Zhang, Prosenjit Saha, Lan Cao, Huan Li, Jinkuk Kim. Waste Management, 78, 2018, 980-991, Impact Factor = 5.448.
- Carbon nanotube reinforced poly (trimethylene terephthalate) nanocomposites: viscoelastic properties and chain confinement. by M K, Aswathi; M, Padmanabhan; Mathew, Lovely; Saha, Prosenjit; Terzano, Roberto ; Kalarikkal, Nandakumar; Volova, Tatiana G.; Thomas, Sabu. Accepted in Polymer Engineering & Science, DOI: 10.1002/pen.25010, 2018, Impact Factor = 1.917.
- Preparation of novel bio-elastomers with enhanced interaction with silica filler for low rolling resistance and improved wet grip, by Min Cheol Kim, Jaideep Adhikari, Jin Kuk Kim, Prosenjit Saha*, Journal of Cleaner Production, 208, 1622, 2019, Impact Factor = 7. 246.
- Facile fabrication of electrospun regenerated cellulose nanofiber scaffold for potential bone-tissue engineering application, by Pritam Kishore Chakraborty, Jaideep Adhikari, Prosenjit Saha*, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 122, 644, 2019, Impact Factor = 5.162.
- Thermal stability, swelling and degradation behaviour of natural fibre based hybrid polymer composites, Bhabatosh Biswas, Pravin Sawai, Angshuman Santra, Amal Gain, Prosenjit Saha, Bhairab Chandra Mitra, Nil Ratan Bandyopadhyay, Arijit Sinha. Cellulose (2019) 26, pages4445–4461, 2019. Impact Factor = 4.210.
- Recent advances in mechanical properties of biopolymer composites: a review, Kishor Kumar Sadasivuni, Prosenjit Saha, Jaideep Adhikari, Kalim Deshmukh, M. Basheer Ahamed, John‐John Cabibihan. Polymer Composites, 41, 32-59, 2020; Impact Factor = 2.265.
- Effects of processing parameters of 3D bioprinting on the cellular activity of bioinks, Jaideep Adhikari, Avinava Roy, Anindya Das, Manojit Ghosh, Sabu Thomas, Arijit Sinha, Jinku Kim, Prosenjit Saha*, Accepted for publication to Macromolecular Biosciences, 2021, 21(1), 2000179, Impact Factor = 3.416
- Variation of properties of sol-gel synthesized bioactive glass 45S5 in organic and inorganic acid catalysts; Pritam Kishore Chakraborty, Jaideep Adhikari and Prosenjit Saha*, Materials Advances, RSC, 2021, 2, 413.
- Development of hydroxyapatite reinforced alginate–chitosan based printable biomaterial-ink; Jaideep Adhikari, Md. Shahid Perwez, Anindya Das, Prosenjit Saha*; Nano Structures & Nano Objects, 2021, 25, 100630.
- Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Plastic Waste Management, N. Mejjad, R. Farhan, N. Chakhchaoui, N. Shankhwar, A. Unal, H. Murthy, Saha, O. Cherkaoui and Sabu Thomas, International J Environmental Research ans Public Health, (Accepted, 2021)
Research Grants Awarded
- DST INSPIRE-FACULTY SCHEME Funded INR 35.00 Lakhs for research project as PI (2015-2021), PI: Dr. Prosenjit Saha
- DST-SERB supported INR 42.00 Lakhs for research project (2016-2019; Completed), PI: Dr. Prosenjit Saha
- DST-SEED supported INR 21.00 Lakhs for research project as PI (2017-2020; Completed), PI: Dr. Prosenjit Saha
Awards & Achievements:
- DST Inspire Faculty Award from DST, Govt. of India at IIEST-Shibpur, WB, India
- DS Kothari Postdoctoral Fellowship from UGC, Govt. of India.
- Johan Gadolin Postdoc Fellowship, Abo Academi for 8 months research stay in Finland
- South African National Research Fellowship (NRF) for postdoctoral research in South Africa (2013)
- Postdoc Research Grant for Senior Researcher at Gyeongsang National University, Rep. of Korea
- CSIR-SRF Fellowship from HRDG-CSIR, Govt. of India.
- Member of The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), UK
- Life Member, The Indian Institute of Metals (IIM), Membership No. 55083
MTech Thesis: 06 (Completed)
MSc: 01 (Completed)
BSc: 01 (Completed)
PhD: 02 registered